Global Science & Technology, Inc. (GST), a growing scientific and high technology company, seeks an experienced Data Assimilation Specialist to support the NOAA/NESDIS/STAR contract. Position is located in College Park, MD.
The Center for Satellite Applications and Research (STAR) is NOAA’s premiere research office for developing the satellite algorithms needed to transform satellite observations to environmental measurements. GST seeks a data assimilation scientist to support STAR’s efforts to assess the impact of assimilating geosynchronous infra-red (IR) soundings into numerical weather prediction and numerical forecasts.
- Work with the STAR team and partner organizations to integrate hyperspectral IR sounding data into Observing System Simulation Experiments (OSSE)
- Assess the OSSE results and determine impacts on forecasts
- Develop schemes to quantify and interpret results in sensitivity studies that isolate the impact of IR sounding data on numerical weather prediction
- Document, present, and publish results
· Master of Science (Ph.D. preferred) degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Data Science, Meteorology, Remote Sensing, or related field
· Minimum of 5 years related work experience
· 2 years’ experience working with satellite remote sensing data sets
· 2 years’ experience working with numerical weather prediction
· Familiarity with radiative transfer concepts
· Familiarity with satellite data assimilation techniques
· Demonstrated coding experience with FORTRAN 95 and Bash scripts
· Knowledge of common satellite data and numerical model formats, such as NetCDF, HDF, BUFR, and GRIB, etc.
· Experience with severe weather dynamics and forecasting
· Experience performing Observing System Simulation Experiments (OSSE), Observing System Experiments (OSE), and studies of data assimilation activities
· Experience with high-resolution numerical models and NWP, such as Weather Research Forecasting Model (WRF), or equivalent
· Working knowledge of Python, IDL, Experience with High Performance Computing (HPC)
· Familiarity with Hyperspectral IR sounders such as CrIS, IASI, or related instruments
- A demonstrated ability to work effectively with others
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
· Able to collaborate effectively with other team members to meet deadlines.
· Strong desire to learn and work in a science environment
U.S. citizenship or Permanent Resident (Green Card holder) is required.
Physical Qualification(s) Required:
· Ability to use a computer
Mental Qualification(s) Required:
· Ability to think on one’s feet
Selected applicants will be required to complete a federal government background investigation.
GST offers competitive salaries; vacation, sick, and holiday leave; major medical, dental, life, long-term and short-term disability insurance; 401K retirement plan; tuition assistance; and opportunities for employee career growth and development.
Qualified candidates please submit your resume via this link: Data Assimilation Specialist—College Park, MD.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veterans’ status. GST is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.