The City of New Rochelle, population 79,067, is seeking an experienced, dynamic professional to direct a multi-faceted agency with a wide-ranging economic development and planning portfolio. Candidates must be prepared to define and pursue strategic goals in an urban/suburban environment, including transit-oriented development, downtown commercial revitalization, waterfront enhancement, housing and neighborhood preservation, environmental protection, and branding/marketing.
Located nineteen miles from midtown Manhattan and thirty minutes from Grand Central Terminal, with direct links to I95, the Hutchinson River Parkway, and Amtrak, easy access to three major New York airports, miles of shoreline on Long Island Sound, and a quick trip to other centers in the region – New Rochelle is ideally positioned to foster transit-oriented growth.
Capitalizing on these assets, New Rochelle is executing the most ambitious downtown development plan in its history, focused on a 300-acre form-based overlay zone, with 7,000 housing units approved across more than 30 projects, many of which are under construction. Visit www.ideallynewrochelleny.com for more information. At the same time, New Rochelle is strongly committed to inclusive, equitable prosperity, and has invested in skills development, infrastructure enhancement, affordable housing, and enhanced connectivity for traditionally underserved portions of our community, evidenced most especially through New Rochelle’s winning and now implementing New York State’s Downtown Revitalization Initiative (DRI.)
Beyond our downtown, New Rochelle boasts charming and historic neighborhoods, extensive parkland, and an enviable quality of life that must be preserved and protected. New Rochelle’s planning strategy recognizes our city’s diverse land use characteristics. Environmental sustainability is a key priority for New Rochelle. Our city is implementing the recommendations of GreeNR, our award-winning 20-year sustainability plan, with specific initiatives related to energy efficiency, natural resource conservation, greenhouse gas emissions, transportation and mobility options, and building design.
The home of some of America’s most noted artists, New Rochelle has always celebrated creative expression. The City’s commitment to cultural vitality is evident in public art installations and murals, as well as housing devised to appeal and be accessible to artists.
Finally, New Rochelle recognizes the importance of technology as a driver of strong, healthy communities. The City has introduced a tech-enabled electric shuttle service, installed public Wi-Fi kiosks and information portals, and won a highly-competitive Bloomberg Philanthropies’ Mayor’s Challenge grant to develop a VR/AR planning application.
The City has excellent schools and recreational opportunities. The City is an ideal location to live, work, play and raise a family. The Commissioner of Development is appointed by and reports to the City Manager.
The successful candidate will have a combination of education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the work, including the following:
· A degree in Planning, Civil Engineering, Architecture, public Administration, Business Administration, Law, Finance, or a related field, plus a minimum of seven years of experience in urban management and real estate development. A Master's degree in Public Administration or related field is preferred.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships and interact with elected officials, senior staff, boards or commissions, and employee representatives in a positive and professional manner is required. A demonstrated passion to engage and work with others, including a diverse resident population, in a professional and respectful manner is required.
- Excellent problem solving and financial skills, including budget preparation, purchasing, contract and grants administration, insurance, and risk management skills.
- Excellent human resources skills, including experience in contract negotiations and administration and labor relations.
· Excellent verbal, writing, and social media communication skills including the ability to clearly present concepts, explain operations and finances and respond to controversies and day to day matters.
· Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment, with a record of handling a wide variety of projects at one time and with the ability to be nimble in changing course or direction.
Starting salary for the position is $167,923 to $235,682 DOQ, Submit résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references by February 7, 2022 online to Joellen J. Cademartori, CEO, GovHR USA, LLC – www. GovHRjobs.com. Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to Joellen J. Cademartori, CEO, GovHR USA at 847-380-3238. The City of New Rochelle is an Equal Opportunity Employer.