Director of Finance, Westminster MD (pop. 19,457). Historic, picturesque community within an hour of Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, Westminster is centrally located in beautiful Carroll County. The City maintains a small-town appeal and high quality of life, and has been recognized for its livability and family-friendliness. Westminster hosts several county-wide events including the Carroll County Fair, Maryland Wine Festival, Art in the Park and Main Street Mile. It is known for its art-related businesses and has many artists living in the community. The City is also home to McDaniel College founded in 1867.
The Director of Finance is a key member of the City’s management team in a financially stable organization, and is responsible for providing executive leadership in assuring the City’s long-term fiscal health and vitality. The City is seeking a technically-skilled Director to lead the Finance Department and a variety of financial activities. The Director also serves as the City’s treasurer, and reports to the City Administrator.
The Finance Department includes six employees and performs complex work involving fiscal planning, internal audit and budgetary controls, and cost studies. In concert with the City Administrator, the Director develops and manages an overall city budget (general fund, capital and utility funds) of approximately $63 million. Westminster is a full-service municipality including public safety, public works, recreation and parks, water, sewer and data-fiber utilities, community development and planning, housing, HR, IT, finance and administrative services.
The successful candidate will:
- Be an ethical and experienced professional with strong technical and accounting skills;
- Have a record of leadership, problem solving and decisiveness;
- Possess an inclusive managerial style, as well as clear, concise, and open communication skills;
- Have a passion for public service; and
- Have a desire to work collaboratively in the delivery of City services.
Candidates should also have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, economics, business or public administration or related field; a Master’s degree and/or CPA is ideal, but not required;
- At least seven years of experience in a municipal government setting, or demonstrable skills in governmental fund accounting;
- Working knowledge of financial management/ERP systems; and
- Supervisory experience.
Starting salary: $115,000 – $130,000 +/- DOQ, plus exceptional benefits. Candidates should apply by February 7, 2022 (Open until filled) with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Click Here to Apply!