Ferndale, MI (pop. 20,428). The City of Ferndale is located in southeast Oakland County, Michigan, offering an outstanding, unique and dynamic urban experience with easy access to major metropolitan areas and an international airport. Known for its award-winning downtown, community events, excellent housing options, and welcoming culture, the City of Ferndale is proud of the high quality of life it offers its residents.
The Director of Public Works (DPW) provides full-service public works to the community including, street maintenance, parks, water, and sewer. The Director leads, oversees, and directs the work of the employees within the DPW. The Director also performs technical and labor tasks as needed. This position is part of the senior leadership team of Ferndale. The city commits to invest in the development of its executive leaders and is interested in candidates who will dedicate a minimum of three years to the position.
The DPW Director reports to the City Manager. This position exercises considerable independent initiative and judgement while leading a staff of 32 full-time and 2 to 4 seasonal employees. The following positions are direct reports to the DPW Director: Deputy DPW Director, Water Systems Supervisor, Parks and Boulevard Supervisor, Public Works Leaders, Motor Pool Leader, Facilities Manager, and Project Manager. The DPW Director is responsible for an annual operational budget of approximately $10 million. The City’s annual capital budget varies considerably year-to-year, but the Director can expect responsibility over approximately $8 million per year of capital projects.
Ideal candidates will have demonstrated a record of leadership and a commitment to proactive, hands-on, participative management and will possess excellent interpersonal, problem solving and financial management skills. The successful candidate will have exceptional communication skills and will intentionally engage with the diverse constituencies of the City. The DPW Director must be adept at developing positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders and will embrace the collaborative and inclusive culture of the community.
Desired minimum qualifications, education, and experience:
- Graduation from a college or university of a recognized standing with a degree in civil engineering, forestry, landscape architecture, public administration or related field.
- Four (4) years of experience is required in public works activities at the supervisory level; five (5) to seven (7) years of experience is preferred.
- Experience may be substituted for required college degree on the basis of two (2) years of experience for one (1) year of college, in addition to four (4) years of supervisory experience.
- Valid State of Michigan driver's license.
- Must possess or must obtain a CDL license within 6 months of employment and maintain throughout time of employment.
- Michigan Water Distribution System Certification strongly preferred. Candidates will be considered who do not have an S-1 certification, though it is a position expectation that they will progress through the waterworks operator’s licenses levels as prescribed by the city.
Starting salary is $85,000 to $106,000 (DOQE), with excellent benefits.
Apply online at www.govHRjobs.com with resume, cover letter, and contact information for 5 professional references by July 6, 2021. Any questions or inquiries regarding the position can be made to the attention of Jaymes Vettraino, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, Suite 130, Northbrook, IL 60062, Tel: (o) 847-380-3240 x126.
Ferndale is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City values diversity, equity and inclusion, all qualified applicants will receive consideration with these values in mind.