The City of Webster Groves, MO established in 1896 is seeking highly qualified candidates for the position of Fire Chief. With an estimated 2020 population of 24,010, Webster Groves is the 31st largest City in Missouri; and was named “The Safest City in the State of Missouri” in 2021.
The Fire Chief is responsible for the overall leadership and management of the City of Webster Groves Fire Department. With over 60 years of service to the city and region, the ISO Class 2 department operates from two (2) fire stations with 38 personnel providing over 3,000 emergency responses annually supported by an annual budget of $2 million. The Fire Chief works under the City Manager and in collaboration with other city department directors, city officials, and regional partners.
In seeking to fill this position, the City is emphasizing an extensive background and experience in the emergency medical services (EMS) and fire fields as well as strong leadership and team building capacity. The following list provides the required attributes a candidate must have to be successful in working for the City of Webster Groves:
- A bachelor’s degree in Fire Science, Emergency Management, Homeland Security, Public Administration, or a related field. A master’s degree in Fire Science, Emergency Management, Homeland Security, Public Administration, or a related field, and/or possessing the designation of Executive Fire Officer (NFA), Chief Fire Officer (CPSE) or similar certifications are preferred.
- A minimum of 12 years’ experience and demonstrated increasing responsibility in an EMS/fire service organization with 5 years being a Chief Officer in a department of equal or greater size and responsibility.
- Experience in principles and practices of modern fire administration and firefighting techniques, Emergency medical practices, Hazardous material laws governing response and handling, Laws, ordinances, and regulations governing fire department activities, and fire department policies, rules, and regulations.
- An innovative, collaborative, and experienced EMS/fire professional with demonstrated leadership experience and successes who also excels in the areas of management, interpersonal communication, emergency management, community risk reduction, and customer service.
- Demonstrated success in the areas of team building and working within a municipal department structure.
- Demonstrated ability to be objective, adaptable, and flexible along with being relationship oriented and can build trust with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Participative and engaging communicator that has the ability to bring fresh ideas to the organization, has a high-level of energy, with a versatile approach to interacting with the community, city officials, staff and other stakeholders.
- A person that understands the need for, and how to use, data for problem solving, community risk reduction efforts, and effective community education and engagement.
- The ability and desire to coach and mentor staff to foster personal growth and leadership talent.
- Residency within the City of Webster Groves possible.
- Fully vaccinated or possesses an appropriate medical/religious exemption prior to full hire.
The salary range for this position is ($91,676 - $128,362) DOQ. A full benefit and retirement package is also offered by the city.
Candidates must apply by October 15, 2021 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com
to the attention of John Storm, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: (847)380-3240 Ext 143. The City of Webster Groves, MO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.