Charter Township of Royal Oak, MI (pop. 2,602). The Charter Township of Royal Oak is located in southeastern Oakland County, Michigan. The population was 2,419 at the 2010 census and is currently estimated to be 2,602. The Township is surrounded by the cities of Oak Park, Ferndale and Detroit. The community and its residents are benefitted by proximity to a multitude of diverse and dynamic urban experience opportunities and ready access to major metropolitan areas, including an international airport. At the same time, the Township retains the small-town family friendly and neighborhood-oriented character that historically attracted many people to the area.
The Charter Township of Royal Oak seeks a Township Manager. The Township Manager serves as the Chief Administrative Officer of the township and works through the direction of the township board. The Township Manager promotes efficient administration, oversees and manages day to day functions and operations of the Township, serves as a liaison between the Board and various Township Departments and implements township board policy initiatives.
The Township Manager is expected to coordinate closely with the Township Supervisor in discharging the duties and responsibilities of the position. These duties include, but are not limited to, supervision of departments and personnel, enforcement of laws, preparation and administration of the Township budget, acting as purchasing agent and personnel director, making recommendations to the Township Board and preparing for and attending Township Board meetings. The successful candidate is expected to be highly collaborative, exhibit strong leadership abilities and practice sound management skills.
The successful candidate is required to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration or closely related field; a master’s degree in Public Administration or a closely related field is preferred.
- Five or more years of progressively more responsible municipal management experience, preferably as a Manager and/or Department Manager; or related non-municipal experience closely matching this requirement.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and significant career success in building collaborative, effective relationships with elected officials, staff and the public.
- Proven leadership, managerial, and interpersonal skills.
- Financial, analytical and budget management skills to lead a financially fit organization.
- Possession of a valid Michigan Driver’s License.
The ideal candidate will be:
- An innovative problem solver who can think outside the box.
- Skilled in economic and community development, capital improvement and strategic planning, grantsmanship, labor negotiations and project management.
- Politically astute and situationally aware.
- Motivated, enthusiastic, personable, energetic and action oriented.
- Knowledgeable of the principles and practices of advanced public administration, including policies, processes, and procedures.
- Driven by a service orientation.
The starting salary is $72,000 plus or minus depending on qualifications and experience, with fringe benefits including health insurance coverage.
Apply online at www.govHRJobs.com with résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references by July 11, 2021. For inquiries contact, Robert Stalker, Vice President, GovHR USA, 847-380-3240 x142. EOE.