The City of Soldotna, AK is seeking highly qualified candidates for the position of Utility Manager. Centrally located on Alaska’s Kenai Peninsula, Soldotna is a dynamic community with a small-town feel, surrounded by amazing outdoor recreational opportunities. The City is looking for someone to join its executive leadership team, who brings a shared vision for collaboration, growth and innovation, and commitment to serving the public.
The Utility Manager is responsible for the overall management of the Soldotna Utility System, ensuring the successful operation of the Soldotna Wastewater Treatment Plant, Water Treatment System, Water Distribution System, and Wastewater Collection System. The Utility Manager supervises all positions in the Utility Department and is an executive level job classification with substantial responsibility for the exercise of independent judgement and decision making in executing a wide range of utility functions. This position is responsible for ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal permitting requirements, including APDES wastewater sampling and laboratory testing, and serves under the general supervision of the City Manager.
In seeking to fill this position, the City is emphasizing working experience in water and wastewater utilities, as well as strong management and supervisory skills necessary to effectively lead this critical department. The following list provides the required attributes a candidate must have in order to be successful in working for the City of Soldotna:
· Seven years of progressively responsible experience related to water and sewer utilities is required (preferably working in municipal systems), of which at least three years are or were in a supervisory capacity.
· A bachelor’s degree in a field related to the position duties and responsibilities is desired, but not required. An applicant that demonstrates equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the functions of the position may be considered.
· This position requires applicant to have or be able to attain: Level III Certification from the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation for operation of Wastewater Treatment Systems; Level III in Wastewater Collection; Level II in Water Distribution; and Level I in Water treatment. If an applicant does not have these certification levels at the time of applying, an offer of employment can be made contingent upon achieving the required certifications within an agreed-upon timeframe. The City recognizes that some certifications may require significant accrual of experience.
· Wastewater treatment systems, including pre-treatment, secondary treatment, solids handling and disposal systems, wastewater sampling and testing procedures.
· Working knowledge of the overall functions of lab equipment and lab tests necessary for operation of an activated sludge wastewater treatment plant.
· Working knowledge of federal and state codes, regulations, reports, permits and manuals applicable to wastewater collection and treatment systems. Examples include, but are not limited to: APDES permitting, Discharge Monitoring Reports, Standard Methods for Lab Procedures, and Plant Operation & Maintenance Manuals.
· Working knowledge of electrical, plumbing, and mechanical sciences and systems, particularly as they relate to wastewater collection, treatment systems, water distribution systems and wastewater collection systems.
Desired management and personal traits, include: a high level of integrity and ethical standards of conduct, a forward-thinking mindset to strategically plan for the future of the Utility system, strong communication and conflict resolution skills, and a commitment to customer service and collaboration with other City departments.
The salary range for this position is ($88,566.40 - $114,504.00) DOQ. The City of Soldotna’s employee benefits include high-quality affordable healthcare, retirement and investment accounts, health and wellness benefits, generous personal leave, 11 paid holidays each year, and the possibility of flexible scheduling. The City encourages employees to pursue ongoing training and professional development, and offers paid opportunities to attend conferences, earn certifications, and pursue training and education. The City will consider assisting with moving expenses for a highly qualified candidate.
A complete job description is available on the City’s website at www.soldotna.org/jobs. To apply, please submit City application, resume, and cover letter online, by email to email@example.com, fax 866-596-2994, or in person to Human Resources at 177 N. Birch Street, Soldotna, AK, 99669. This position is open until filled. The City of Soldotna is an EEO employer.