Vernon Hills, IL (26,251) a vibrant, family focused community located 37 miles north of Chicago in Lake County, known for its vibrant commercial shopping, strong services and political stability. The Village is seeking confident, knowledgeable and approachable candidates to serve as their next Village Manager. The Village guides a lean resourceful organization consisting of Police, Dispatch, Public Works and Community Development services. Village operations do not include a Fire department nor a water utility. Financial functions are outsourced to a third party. Strong development activity is projected to continue requiring an individual who enjoys a fast-paced work environment and an understanding of TIF districts. With a great deal of pride, Vernon Hills retains its status as one of the few communities in Illinois without a local property tax which necessitates a focus on cost containment measures and innovation. The Village takes great pride in their exceptional level of services to residents, particularly senior citizens, and promotes a host of activities to bolster a strong sense of family, safety and prosperity.
The Village Manager will serve as the chief administrative officer who reports to a Mayor and Board of Trustees (6) and is responsible for implementation of policy and the overall operations of a $23.6 million budget plus $3.4 million capital plan as well as management and leadership of 101 full time employees.
Qualified individuals will be expected to have:
· Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Business Administration or related discipline and five (5) years of high-level executive and administrative experience in a local government with a similar size jurisdiction or an equivalent combination of training or experience. A Master’s degree in public administration, business administration, planning or related field is desired.
· A pragmatic and collaborative leadership style with experience in developing policy alternatives for Board consideration; committed to transparency in all dealings with elected officials ensuring the Board has a strong basis of understanding for their decisions.
· An outward facing community leader with a proven track record of being visible in the community, available to collaborate with businesses, residents, and potential developers serving as an approachable representative of the Village.
· Candidates should have experience with supervision of a local government of similar size and complexity; and an understanding and experience in managing effectively in a unionized environment ensuring a balanced approach to labor relations.
· Attentive to cost containment with proficiency in fiscal management and budgeting with a focus on revenue generation and creative expenditure containment.
· Excellent communication skills and significant career success in building collaborative, effective
relationships across departments.
· A hard-working, approachable leader who can build strong relationships with elected officials, staff, community members, neighboring communities and other governmental agencies.
The salary range is $185,215-$203,746. The Village offers exceptional benefits including membership into the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF), a car allowance, optional 401(K) and 457 deferred compensation plans, and a menu of health plans. Candidates should apply by March 8, 2021 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five (5) work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of:
Kathleen Rush, Vice President, or Joellen Cademartori, Chief Executive Officer, GovHR USA
630 Dundee Road, #130, Northbrook, IL 60062.
The Village of Vernon Hills is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Click HERE to Apply!